Key Plot Points from The Twilight Saga: The Official Illustrated Guide
- Bella is semiconscious; her body jerks and twitches, there is a wild thrashing in her body, and sharp snaps and cracks
Edward injects Bella with morphine; Rosalie uses a scalpel to cut Bella's skin; blood gushes out, and Rosalie's eyes glint with thirst; Jacob knocks Rosalie out the door, hitting her in the face and gut; Alice drags Rosalie away; Rosalie does not fight back
- Jacob performs CPR
- Edward uses his teeth to get to the baby; Jacob doesn't look away from Bell's face
Bella sees the baby, Renesmee, then gasps; Edward snatches the baby away
- Jacob continues CPR as Bella's eyes roll back; her heart falters
Edward injects a syringe of his venom into Bella's heart; he bites her in more places to force venom into her body
- Jacob sees there is no life in Bella -- she is a broken, bled-out corpse
Bella's dead body has no draw for Jacob now, so he leaves; Jacob gave everything to save Bella, but she sacrificed herself to be torn apart by a monster
- Jacob hears Rosalie downstairs, cooing to the monster, feeding it blood
Pain and hatred wash through Jacob -- the thing must be destroyed; Jacob can feel the pull tugging him toward the abomination
- Rosalie turns around and Jacob looks into the baby's eyes
Everything that made Jacob what he was floats away and the universe swirls around only one point: Renesmee
All the king's horses and all the king's men...
But there was nothing there, just me, just him.
Working over a corpse.
Because that's all that was left of the girl we both loved. This broken, bled-out, mangled corpse. We couldn't put Bella together again
Then of course the turn that caught me COMPLETELY off guard the first time I read the book...Jacob's first look at Renesmee. Did anyone else see that one coming? Jacob imprints on Renesmee?!?!?!? But of course the story doesn't end there...
From upstairs, there was a new sound. The only sound that could touch me in this endless instant.
A frantic pounding, a racing beat . . .
A changing heart.