Thursday, December 10, 2009

Eclipse Book Discussion: Preface

There are just (just...ha! Is it June yet??) 29 weeks until Eclipse opens in theaters. Coincidentally, there are 29 chapters in Eclipse, counting the preface and epilogue. Today, we are starting a new series at Eyes of Amber with a panel discussing the book Eclipse, chapter by chapter. The panel consists of Amber (Team Total Bella -- meaning she is very much our resident Bella, but not "Switzerland"), Kerry (Team Edward for (un) Life), and our guest panelist Sabrina (Team Jacob - like seriously).

You know me and Amber. Sabrina is a good friend of Amber's, and therefore a good friend of mine, despite her Jacob fetish. Sabrina read Twilight at Amber's recommendation, and enjoyed it as much as we all did. We wanted to include her to get the perspective of Team Jacob. Like us, Sabrina is an adult fan, meanting none of us are 12 (we totaled our ages...let's not go there), also a busy mom (between the three of us..there are 11 children yikes!) who enjoys the escape into the Twilight world.

We started with the Preface, including the Robert Frost poem "Fire and Ice". Read on for our discussion:

Kerry: I have to say, that the context of Fire and Ice makes for all kinds of fun interpretations when you apply them to Jacob and Edward.
Amber: very, very true, and so fitting
Sabrina: Oh yes. I also hold with those who favor fire
Amber: Well, you have the most obvious link...Jacob is fire, he's a toasty 108
Sabrina: mmmmmm
Amber: and Edward is ice...but also, you have the fire linked to desire and the ice linked to hate. With Edward...Bella is all fire, all desire. With Jake...she feels them both
Sabrina: True. And the idea of destruction is pervasive in this poem. Although it might make you think about the love triangle, that's not what the poem itself is actually about.
Amber: well obviously sweetie...I didn't think Robert Frost wrote poems about Twilight
Kerry: Really??
Amber: okay, give me your take, Miss English Major
Kerry: ooh! An English Major!
Sabrina: this poem gives a foreshadowing of the problems that the Cullens as a clan face.
Amber: if you're looking at it that way could the fire be the wolves and the ice the newborns/Victoria?
Sabrina: can the Cullens form a truce with the werewolves (fire), and can they defeat Victoria (ice and hate)?
Amber: I think it's safe to say that Sabrina and I are of the same thought process on that one. I like that much deeper meaning...far beyond Jacob and Edward
Sabrina: Well, a miracle has occurred here today!
Kerry: *marks day on calendar* With the Cullens and the Wolves working together, it's both forms of destruction, they were unstoppable by the newborns, so much so that Edward could sit out.
Amber: the joining of the two became a destructive force more powerful than either the fire or the ice alone
Sabrina: Good point.
Kerry: and fire and ice cancel each other out, without some sort of buffer agent, like Bella
Amber: ooooooooo
Sabrina: Very true
Amber: she enabled them to coexist
Sabrina: All very true. Back to the love triangle, too.... I kind of see Bella like two possibilities.
Kerry: I think it's a personality thing too, Jacob is very hot tempered and impulsive, maybe a little unpredictable.. Edward is calculating and inexorable, one he's on a course it's difficult to sway him. Fragile and strong at the same time.
Sabrina: I see her as what she would end like with Edward, and with Jacob. And to have one self, you have to destroy the other.
Amber: oooo ooooo ooooo ooooo You are both SO good!
Sabrina: LOL
Amber: I love the strong and fragile view of Edward and the two possibilities of Bella in order to have one, she must destroy the other...and in choosing the ice, she destroys herself as well....by ice
Sabrina: Yes
Kerry: Ok, I'm totally the over-analyzer, I 'll give you that, but to me, it makes the second sentence in the preface interesting. "With ice in my heart, I watched him prepare to defend me."
Sabrina: ... no, I like it....
Amber: hmmm
Sabrina: She always uses fire and ice comparisons for Edward and Jacob. I don't think that's an accident at all. I mean, Jacob is like his own personal sun, and Edward sparkles like ice...
Kerry: Ok, so it's not just me
Sabrina: Nope, not at all
Kerry: Stephenie Meyer does the peek at the end thing , whether its just a preface like this or Twilight, or a dream..Do you like the hint at the end?
Sabrina: Yeah... and the great thing about... well, nearly all of them actually, is that even though you technically know what's going to happen, you don't really know who the major players are. And so this preface is great because you have no idea who her protector actually is.
Kerry: right...is the enemy Victoria? is it the Volturi? is it the wolves? She mentions his family, but then, it could have been Emmett or Carlisle..
Amber: right...it doesn't say who her protector is, or who she is being protected from
ah...but the wolves are Jake's brothers
Sabrina: Or his brother wolves
Amber: okay...we've got to stop doing that
Sabrina: It almost sounds like she is being protected from the wolves .. right?
Amber: I'm not really sure that I thought of the wolves there as who she was being protected from
Sabrina: So, at the end, we know that Bella and those she loves faces death. But the audience has no idea where the battle lines are drawn.
Kerry: I guess I never saw the protector as Jacob or any of the wolves. I'm just that Edward biased ;)
Sabrina: ... well, based on the end of New Moon and the treaty... it very well could be that she is being protected from the wolves. Especially with the wolf howling at the end...
Amber: that is true
Kerry: and you don't know if she'll be changed in this book
Sabrina: Exactly
Kerry: I know my husband thought she was going to be changed in Eclipse.
Sabrina: I love it. Stephenie is such a genius.
Amber: sometimes it's hard to step back to the first time I read the books
Kerry: me too
Sabrina: It's easier when you wish things might have gone different.
Kerry: that's why this is kind of fun, trying to look at the story with fresh eyes again
Amber: aw...poor little wolf girl
Kerry: Instead of jumping straight to the leg hitch..
Amber: I guess the leg hitch has a different feel for the team jacob girls
Sabrina: ...the WHAT?
Amber: the leg hitch... you know...
Sabrina: no...don't know
Amber: OME!!!
Sabrina: Somebody care to explain??
Kerry: Team Jacob might not read that scene the same way...I can't wait until we discuss that chapter!
Amber: I can see how you would forget that part, being a wolf girl
Sabrina: Yeah, I'm in for a long road ahead with this book.I love Eclipse, but it's probably my least favorite of the books.
Kerry: I'm actually looking forward to your view, Sabrina, because I really haven't discussed the book with someone that wasn't Team Edward.
Sabrina: *reviews leg hitch* Yeah... I was like, oh whatever. Get over yourself and get it done already!
Sabrina: Oh, this is too fun.
Amber: Lets not get so dramatic wolfy.
Sabrina: I love tormenting you Edward girls.
Amber: I'm wondering if they'll be able to use anything of this preface in the beginning of the movie the way they did the first two
Kerry: maybe as a dream again
Amber: but it would give A LOT away
Sabrina: Not if they make it a montage of fighting groups and not show who is fighting who
Amber: hmmm I'm skeptical
Kerry: or just a close up of Bella all terrified with a rock in her hand
Sabrina: I hope they have her actually read the poem like the did the romeo and Juliet quote.

We now turn to you, if you would like to comment on the poem and/or the preface. Next week we will dive in to the first chapter. I hope you will enjoy this as much as we will, I'm looking forward to some good banter and discussion as the different views come together. I'm hoping, personally, to maybe get something new out of the book. And I can't wait for June!

6 comments:

Bouncy72 said...

Wow ladies. That was awesome, your insights were great.
Lol, Sabrina the "leg hitch" was one of the most memorable parts of the book...Mmmm

Anonymous said...

Yes that was great, look forward to your future discussions.
I am a "older" (have grandkids)lover of the books and I too love the "leg hitch"...can't believe Sabrina did not remember...hope it is in the movie.

RaShell said...

Well, that was fun to read! I am starting to re-read Eclipse right with you, so it will be curious to see what you girlies discover along the way :)

Sabrina said...

I'm never going to live down forgetting the leg hitch, am I?

Desiree said...

Awesome insight!! Now, regarding the preface, I just assumed it was Edward w/Victoria advancing... but I see your points. Made me think about it again. Cause yes this is My FAV book in the series!!! So I'm anxious about the film in June. I'll be reading along w/you guys. Cause you bring up good points, plus my comprehension skills aren't that great so.....looking forward to the posts.

Annie Cristina said...

While this isn't my favorite book in the series ( Twilight holds that spot), it is my second favorite. And yes, the leg-hitch scene might have a little something to do with that... ;)

Great discussion! I love the format -- it's not what I was expecting.