Saturday, July 25, 2009

People Magazine Disappoints

I'm guessing that most of you know by now that Rob is gracing the cover of People magazine. One would think this is a good thing, but unfortunately that is not the case.
I've noticed in the recent past that People was starting to become a little less of a credible source and a little more tabloid. With this article, I think they've made the leap. I read the article, thanks to the scans sent to me by the lovely MyRobertPattinson.com. You can see them all here. (She got the magazine for free.) The only source they actually name for this article is the waitress who supposedly saw them kissing in Vancouver after the Sam Bradley show. There are pictures of them at that show. I find it hard to believe if they were kissing that someone wouldn't have managed to catch that. All the quotes from Rob and Kristen are from old interviews, not in relation to this article.

Whether they are together or not just really isn't any of our business. They give enough of themselves to the public in their movies and their appearances. Who they are or aren't dating or sleeping with doesn't need to be public information unless they choose to make it so. What disappoints me so much about People magazine is that they have put together an article based on here say, rumors and quotes from old unrelated interviews. They are reporting rumors as fact. (i.e. "Pattinson proceeded to have a fling with co-star Nikki Reed." Unless I've missed something, that's a rumor, not a fact that's been confirmed by anyone trustworthy.) Last time I checked, that was tabloid territory.

So as I prepare to step down off my soap box, for now, remember that just because you read it, doesn't make it so. Formerly reliable sources are becoming not so reliable. Also, on a side note, don't even believe a picture without investigating it. There are some very convincing manips out there these days. I don't believe anything anymore unless I see it come out of the star's mouth. There is so much actual information out there about Twilight and all the people involved with it, it's pitiful that People magazine, among many others, have resorted to this type of made up sensationalism to attract readers. Personally, I prefer my fiction in book form, clearly labeled as such.

So what's your take?

7 comments:

Mrs. Robward said...

I agree 110%!

I WILL NOT buy any mag b/c of the ROB material it claims to report.

I, too, thought PEOPLE was a reputable magazine, I guess you will publish less than facts for a buck.

I will buy a mag for some hot-lickable-cant-take-my-eyes-off-of-it-pics (ie: WETROB)

Done,
Mrs.Robward

sjAimee said...

I agree as well.. Its utterly ridiculous.. I believe very little of what I read/see.. not to mention i'm really over whole *gasp* robsten *gasp* thing.. they need to leave them alone already..

cutie said...

My take? Truly I don't have a take, because I never follow any of this stuff. Outside of occasionally buying a mag for pictures (yep thats what I've been reduced to and I only own The Precious & The Wonderment... one day Heaven [aka GQ] shall be in my hands *eyes glaze over*), I never know the gossip news. Along with living in a spoiler free bubble, I live in a gossip free bubble called the no BS zone. Keeps me honest and my life less complicated. Because, at the end of the day, I don't know these people, they have their own freaking lives, and if they were running around taking pictures of me and speculating about my love life it would beyond creep me out. Thus SSTB = no gossip EVER.

Sleepy rambling rantish comment over now.

T. L. C. said...

Oh well for the artical. I agree 100% with what you said but i still bought it so i could totally look at him in my magzine basket LOL

Fire Crotch said...

Here's what I never liked about People magazine...when I buy one of those rags I want celebrities and gossip, but People always wants to sleep in a sob story about a real person. I hate real people, boo. They are definitely scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point.

Amy said...

Girl! You said it all right there! I have a blog and I refuse to even mention the "relationship" between Rob and Kristen. It's all speculation and I won't think they're together until they say they are. I guess People feels like it is losing out because so many people are buying US and OK just for the photos of Rob and they don't care about the lies that he magazines contain. I don't buy those tabloids when I can get my Rob photo fix on great blogs like yours.

Marsha said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I couldn't agree with you more.
Their lives are private (just like the rest of ours) and they need to be left alone. I'm so tired of all of the fabricated dirty laundry out there about Rob Pattinson, Kristen Stewart, and now even Taylor Lautner! These are young people with their lives ahead of them and the paps need to leave them alone.
Thank you for stepping onto your soapbox! I support you 100%