Thursday, July 16, 2009

Another Chris Weitz Interview

Today seems to be the day for news from Chris WeitzAgain, this interview does contain some spoilers for those of you trying to remain completely pure...for which I suppose the above picture is a spoiler...sorry for that...here are two spoiler-free excerpts...

There are speculations – hopes, even – that you might come back to direct the fourth book, "Breaking Dawn." Is anything being talked about now, or is there even any carry over from "New Moon" to "Eclipse" and "Breaking Dawn" in terms of planning?

I think it’s really charming that, not having seen New Moon, people would be enthusiastic about me wanting to do Breaking Dawn! I think the proof is in the pudding, and they should see New Moon before they decide if they want me to do anything else to do with their series. But I would hope to earn that kind of rumor. I haven’t really spoken with Summit about that; all I knew was that I was going to be too tired to do Eclipse, and that it was better that somebody else take it over as well so that they could put their own imprint on it. Also, the way the films are being shot would have precluded it anyway. But in terms of the planning, David Slade came in while we were still shooting the end of New Moon and I showed him everything that I could to give him a sense of what direction we were going; he’s going to take it in whatever way he wants to because he’s his own guy and will have his own style and particular take on things, but just as I was inheriting certain things from Catherine Hardwicke, he’s going to inherit certain things from me and make the choice as to whether he wants to keep them or alter them. We’ve had discussions…Tippett is going to do the wolves for Eclipse so that there’s a continuity in terms of the look of the werewolves, and obviously the cast is going to remain the same; so Dakota is Jane, and all the Volturi are the same people that we’re familiar with. Other than that, it’s kind of David Slade’s show to run on Eclipse, and by the time that comes out they’ll probably want him to Breaking Dawn, not me.

Considering "Breaking Dawn’s" mature themes, do you think it’s doable?

It’s a tough one. Yes, it’s doable; anything is doable. It’s a hard one, because the series gets more and more ambitious as it goes along. Yes, it’s doable; anything is doable.

It certainly seems that Breaking Dawn is high on the list of concerns for everyone out there. At this point, I know that Rob and Kristen have both said they would do it, but I do not know of a contract being drawn up at this point. I know that at one time Rob had said the hold up in scheduling the film was his shooting schedule. If they try to crank out Breaking Dawn as close to Eclipse as even Twilight and New Moon are, we should hear something within the next few months. I don't think there is any way they could, and definitely don't think they should, go for as fast of a turn around as they have scheduled between New Moon and Eclipse. I expect there to be some announcement around New Moon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*Sigh* I am really skeptical about this director.

But who knows. When I first saw the trailer for Twilight I thought it looked so lame. But then I saw the movie, loved it and have watched it numerous times.


So I'm crossing my fingers.