Thursday, June 11, 2009

Metro Interview with Chris Weitz

On Monday, I posted an article from Metronews.ca, a behind the scenes look at New Moon. Because of Summit's press embargo, there was some question as to the validity of said article, but apparently the fact that this particular outlet is not in the US means that their release schedule is different. So, I hope that explains my delay in getting the second through fourth parts of their coverage to you, because this is definitely some awesome coverage.

Part three (yes, I'm going out of order) is their interview with Chris Weitz
You must read this article. That's right, I said must and I meant it. Drop all else you are doing and go directly to the full article. Wait! Instead, read this post first then drop everything you are doing and go directly to the article. Do not pass go, and if you do happen to collect $200, don't you think you should send me a commission? Okay, I digress...

When Chris Weitz was named as the director of New Moon, I was unsure. I didn't know much about him, but the fact that he'd read the books was a big plus in my mind and then Stephenie gave her blessing, pretty much sealing the deal. I have to say, every single thing I have seen has just made me feel more and more like Summit made the right decision by bringing this man on board. From the trailers, the pictures, the interviews, the articles...it looks like he is doing an awesome job with New Moon. This is my favorite interview so far.

Q. “Twilight”, the first installment of the series, received some criticism for not being 100 per cent true to the book. Are you addressing some of these issues?

A. It’s impossible to be completely faithful to every single page of a book because movies don’t have enough time. So you end up cutting things and combining things. But I would say that we’re definitely using the book as our bible. My take on this film is the film is the book and Stephanie Mayer is my main resource for everything in this. I’m constantly checking with her to see if it’s something a character would do or a detail is right. You can never absolutely please everybody but my main intention is to satisfy the fans of the book.

Q. Could you tell us about New Moon and how it’s different from Twilight?

A. I think we get an opportunity to sort of expand our scope -- from the confines of the forest to Italy. Your sense of mythology of this world is deepened so that the story that underlies what was going on in the first movie becomes more and more clear. And there are a lot of secrets that were set up in the first book and the first movie that come to light in the second movie. So there are a lot of surprises in store.

Now go read the rest of the article here. And come back to let me know what you think.

No comments: