Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Breaking Dawn gets green light? Not quite

There have been a lot of conflicting stories out there about whether or not Breaking Dawn is going to be made into a movie or not. I was actually discussing this with a friend the other day. During the European press tour, Catherine Hardwicke said that at that time they were trying to decide whether the book would be done as one or two movies.

Amidst new rumors, Entertainment Weekly went straight to Melissa Rosenberg to get the scoop.
"The most I've heard from Summit is 're-read it and start thinking about it,'" says Rosenberg, who is completing her show-running duties on the fourth season of the Showtime series Dexter. More telling, she hasn't yet received one of the manifestos Meyer famously puts together before Rosenberg begins turning one of her books into a movie. Another source is also skeptical that Summit is far along in developing a fourth film. "As far as I know, Stephenie was still having meetings asking, 'Can we really make this into a movie?'" The fourth book's racy sex and explicit birth scenes make it less pre-teen friendly then the three earlier, more chaste romance novels. Summit, for its part, has no comment on the current status of Breaking Dawn.
So that sounds to me like rumors that Breaking Dawn is a definite are just that, rumors.

Although I highly disagree that this book contains racy sex, (the only sex in the book is implied), the birth scene is definitely "explicit" and would present great challenges for filming without it looking like a horror movie. I'm just not sure how they would handle that. I do highly suspect that the decision will be made before the Eclipse script is finalized. I'm guessing if Breaking Dawn isn't looking likely, we could see the wedding at the end of Eclipse. What do you think?

Source

2 comments:

~ Joy ~ said...

ooooh, this is a serious discussion inducing topic!

Your post is loaded with very valid points. I would love to know the fate of Breaking Dawn. I can't wait to learn more. A wedding at the end of Eclipse?!? May the speculation abound!

Snarkier Than You said...

I've considered this, too - it would definitely be a very different movie that any of the other three. While part of me is not sure if I could deal with 2+ hours or everyone working their best "tortured" face, I'd still ultimately like to see it on the big screen - but I think it will definitely be the hardest one to get right, given all the challenges you mention... We shall see!